Thursday, September 8, 2011

deN Diva Spotlight:Brittney




Name: Brittney 

How long have you been natural? (If applicable, please include transition and big chop dates)
 I've been going natural for about 7 months now. When I decided to go natural it was around February 2011. I started wearing sew-ins to make my transition easier. In July I had ALOT of new growth but the front of my hair was damaged from using glue from time to time and not keeping my hair moisturized. On 8/13/2011 I decided to do the Big Chop and it was such a liberating and uplifting experience!
Describe your hair
My hair is very tightly coiled curly hair.  I colored my hair so I have to keep it moisturized.  My natural color is a very dark brown/ black but it's an auburn color now.
What is your current hair regimen?
I am still learning what hair regimen works best for my hair. But so far I shampoo my hair once every other week ( i use giovonni and shea moisture kit for dry damaged hair)and co wash my hair once a week. I use a moisturizer daily in my hair (Shea moisture, jojoba oil, Shea butter). To pull my natural curl out I use Shea moisture curl hair smoothie and ecostyler aloe Vera gel for hold.
What are five products you can't live without?
 5 products I couldn't live without are ALL SHEA MOISTURE PRODUCTS (their hair smoothie especially) African Shea Butter, Jamaican lime locking gel ( great for hold),Jojoba oil, olive oil hair pudding, and that's about all I use on a frequent basis.
What is the one product/treatment/technique that has made the biggest difference in your hair?
1 product that made a difference in my hair was the SheaMoisture hair smoothie. My hair sucks up moisture especially because I have color in my hair. Since I started using the smoothie my hair stays hydrated and moisturized all day.  Plus, it gets my hair to curl.
The biggest difference in my hair is the curl. I've been getting perms since I was 7 years old so I never really knew what my natural hair looked like. I always wanted some kind of curl in my hair and never new my natural hair was capable of doing so. Also my hair is the healthiest it's ever been and I'm still in the beginners stage. My hair is so soft now too.
What is the biggest mistake you have made with your hair?
The biggest mistake I made with my hair was perming it. I got perms on a regular basis ( once every other month and touch ups when needed). Also, my edges and very fragile so glue of any kind killed the front of my hair.  Perms made my hair look thin so from time to time I'd add a few glue pieces to make it look fuller (HUGE No No).
Any advice for other naturalistas?

 My advice to other naturalistas especially those just starting, is to not give up. Embrace whatever it is God gave you. Also, do it for you and no one else. Every person’s hair is different so take ADVICE and EDUCATE yourself but find what works best for your hair. Lastly, embrace the journey because there will be times when you want to give up but there is so much help and support out there that you can get through it. YOUR NOT ALONE!


No comments:

Post a Comment