Monday, October 10, 2011

deNATURALISTAS presents: I DECLARE HEALTHY HAIR CHALLENGE


 CALLING ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Naturalistas!
Join Tywanda Howie and Latoya Watson, founders of deNaturalistas as they present, "I DECLARE HEALTHY HAIR CHALLENGE" that begins today, Monday, October 10, 2011 and runs until December 31, 2011.


The deNaturalistas are challenging the natural hair community to join them in its quest to achieve healthy hair from October 10, 2011 to December 31, 2011.  The following is a GUIDELINE to personally assist you in attaining your individual hair goals.  This document does not have to be followed religiously, but may be used as a helpful toolkit to accompany your journey!  If you have any current chronic medical conditions, please consult a doctor before making adaptations to your regular diet and exercise routine. Each week a new component will be added to the challenge with a few mini-natural hair meet-ups along the journey. Find us at www.denaturalistas.com, follow us on Twitter @denaturalistas or join our group on FB at Delaware Naturalistas: Embracing Kinks, Locs and Curls to stay updated!
 
1.       I declare that I will trim the ends of my hair to rid split ends, heat damage, knots, etc. during the first week and last week of the challenge.

2.       I declare that I will take a hair vitamin supplement each day that includes a majority of the following ingredients:
·                         Biotin
·                         Copper
·                         Folic Acid
·                         Inositol
·                         Iron
·                         Niacin (B3)
·                         Pantothenic Acid (B5)
·                         Riboflavin (B2)
·                         Thiamin (B1)
·                         Vitamin A
·                         Vitamin B6
·                         Vitamin B12      
·                         Vitamin C
·                         Vitamin D
·                         Vitamin E
·                         Zinc

3.       I declare that I will not put any heat on my hair unless during the deep-conditioning process with a heating cap, heated towel, hooded dryer or Huetiful Steamer.

4.       I declare that I will create a detailed hair regimen that includes the following:
·                         A pre-cleansing  (a.k.a. pre-poo) treatment
·                         A sulfate-free shampoo
·                         A protein conditioner
·                         A leave-in conditioner
·                         A water-based moisturizer to hydrate daily
·                         An oil & butter-based moisturizer to seal daily

5.       I declare that I will not use any products that include the following ingredients:
·                         Lauryl Sulfate & Sodium Laureth Sulfate
·                         Mineral Oil
·                         Petroleum Jelly
·                         Cones (any ingredients ending with the suffix -cone)
·                         Parabens (any ingredients ending with the suffix -paraben)
·                         Isopropyl Alcohol
·                         Propylene Glycol and  Polyethylene Glycol

6.       I declare that I will protect my hair nightly by sleeping with a satin scarf, cap or pillowcase.

7.       I declare that I will drink a minimum of eight (8 ounce) cups of water per day.

8.       I declare that I will exercise a minimum of 3 to 5 times per week for at least 30 consecutive minutes.

9.       I declare that I will eat a minimum of 5 servings of fresh fruit and vegetables per day with at least 3 servings being vegetables.  I will also focus on the following hair super foods:
·                         Green leafy vegetables (spinach, kale, cabbage, collard greens)
·                         Carrots
·                         Fruits (apples, bananas, melons, berries and oranges)
·                         Eggs or Egg Whites
·                         Short-Grain Brown Rice
·                         Meats (chicken, turkey, beef, liver and salmon)
·                         Cheese
·                         Nuts (walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts)
·                         Legumes (kidney beans, lentils, black-eyed peas, lima beans, etc.)
·                         Low-fat Dairy Products (yogurt, milk, cottage cheese)

10.     I declare to use cautious, healthy hair maintenance techniques:
·                         After conditioning, I will rinse my hair with cold-water ONLY.
·                         I will dry my hair with a cotton T-shirt instead of a towel using minimal                friction.
·                         I will detangle my hair in its wet state only using a large-tooth comb or a Denman brush  while in the shower or with a conditioner that has slip.
·                         I will not do wash or shake-and-go's.
·                         I will not use any man-made chemicals to alter the natural state of my hair like relaxers, perms, texturizers  or hair coloring.
·                         I will style my hair in low-maintenance protective hair styles that protect my   hair follicles ESPECIALLY my ends such as coils, two-strand twists, etc
·      I will not get hair extensions such as micros, kinky twists, weaves or other         styles where additional hair is added and causes stress and tension on my hair follicles. I will opt for a wig if necessary.

11.    I declare that I LOVE and BELIEVE in myself and my abilities. I will try my hardest to live a more healthy, holistic lifestyle that will allow me to live long and strong with nothing wrong because I AM worth it!  If I ever doubt my ability I know that Philippians 4:13 states that, "I can do ALL THINGS through Christ which strengtheneth me."
 ©2011 by deNaturalistas, LLP, All Rights Reserved.  Unauthorized distribution of intellectual property is prohibited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment